Here you will find Frequently Asked Questions about Tribal operations, and Tribal general information.



 FAQ's Fiscal


When do we get our next RSTF Check, and can I pick it up?
RSTF Checks will be sent by mail only quarterly; February, May, August, and November.  
Can I get my check early?
No, But you can take a loan out up to $500.00 each quarter. ($75.00 fee with each loan)

FAQ's Housing


Why are the housing programs subject to income limits?

The housing funds that the TST receives on an annual basis are from the Department of Housing And Urban Development and they require all persons receiving assistance with their funds to be within the published income guidelines. These guidelines are revised every year and are available from the housing office. Currently incomes can not exceed the following for the listed family size:

Family Size                   1                2                3                4                5                6                7                8

Adjusted                35,784        40,896        46,008        51,120        55,210        59,299        63,389        67,478


What housing programs does the TST offer?

Currently the programs are as follows:

       College Student Housing Assistance
       College Student Move-in Assistance

       Senior Rental Assistance
       Senior Rental Move-In Assistance

       Down Payment Assistance
       Housing Acquisition Assistance**
       Home Improvement Assistance **

**Currently on hold undergoing review for modifications to better serve all Tribal members with the limited funds we receive.


Why does it take so long to receive benefits?

A couple of reasons,

1 Generally, the applications received are not complete, either the forms are not filled out or the necessary additional material has not been submitted. 

2  All applications have to be approved by the Tribal Council at a meeting. This is generally once a month.



FAQ's Environmental


What is the Environmental Department?

The Environmental Department is a department within the Timbisha Shoshone Tribal Office that is responsible for the protection of the environment. Currently, the Environmental Department is funded (paid for) by three grants; the General Assistance Program (GAP) grant, the Clean Water Act Section 106 grant, and Clean Water Act Section 319 grant. The Environmental Department staff includes an Environmental Director (funded through the GAP grant) and a Water Quality Specialist (funded through both CWA grants).

What does the Environmental Director do?

The Environmental Director will work to: protect the health and safety of Tribal members; keep the Tribe in compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations; help the Tribe become a stronger entity to better protect its water resources and environmental interests; and involve the Tribe as an active participant in environmental decision making processes regarding the Timbisha Shoshone Trust Lands.

What is the GAP grant?

The GAP (General Assistance Program) grant allows the Environmental Department to establish various environmental protection programs. Some of these programs include, but are not limited to: Air Quality, Emergency Management, and Solid Waste. Using GAP funds, the Environmental Department plans to establish each of these programs (air, emergency management, and solid waste/recycling/composting). Once we have the ability to manage these different programs on our own, we will need to seek out alternate funding; GAP funds only help us establish the Environmental Department, not maintain nor pay for the everyday operations once the program is in place.

Why is there such a large time gap between when a project idea comes up and when the project is started?

Before receiving a GAP grant, we need to explain what we plan to do with the funds received (the workplan – separated out into various tasks) and how we will use the funds (the budget – separated into payroll, travel expenses, supplies, etc.). If there is a “project” idea not included in the workplan and/or budget, we need to get approval from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) before we can move forward.

Also, before we can put programs into place, we need to create plans of what these programs will entail, how we will manage these programs, and how we will pay to keep these programs running (because we cannot use GAP funds to maintain an established program).

When will environmental laborer jobs be available?

When funds are available, laborers may be needed to complete a task. However, several things need to be in place before any work can be done. For example: while the open dump in the Village has formed again, we do not want to clean it up until we have another option for larger solid waste disposal – because if we clean it up now and do not have something in place for larger solid waste disposal, the open dump will form again, thus basically wasting that cleanup effort.



FAQ's Water Quality


  What is CWA §106 Water Pollution Control Grant?

Section 106 of the Clean Water Act authorizes Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to provide federal assistance to establish and implement ongoing water pollution control programs.

What does the Water Quality Specialist (WQS) do?

The WQS is responsible for protecting the Timbisha Shoshone Tribe’s surface and groundwater resources through water quality monitoring, habitat restoration, and educational outreach activities. The WQS will perform all water quality monitoring and reporting activities in coordination with the approved Quality Assurance Project Plan for “Monitoring Surface and Ground Water on the Timbisha Shoshone Tribal Homelands”.

What is CWA §319 Nonpoint Source (NPS) Control Program?

Nonpoint Source (NPS) Pollution Control Program is to assist tribes develop and implement polluted runoff control programs that address critical water quality concerns at a watershed level.

What is NPS?

NPS pollution - polluted runoff - occurs when rainfall, snowmelt, or irrigation water runs over land or through the ground, picks up pollutants, and transports them into surface waters or ground water. Major nonpoint sources of pollution include agricultural practices; unrestricted livestock grazing; poor siting and design of roads, highways, and bridges; forestry; urban runoff; abandoned mines; construction sites; channelization of streams; and hydromodification, such as building and maintaining dams and levees.


Go to top